Smalltalk type system

Viewed 2360

I'm very new to Smalltalk and would like to understand a few things and confirm others (in order to see if I'm getting the idea or not):

1) In Smalltalk variables are untyped?

2) The only "type check" in Smalltalk occurs when a message is sent and the inheritance hierarchy is climbed up in order to bind the message to a method? And in case the class Object is reached it throws a run time error because the method doesn't exist?

3) There are no coercions because there are no types...?

4) Is it possible to overload methods or operators?

5) Is there some kind of Genericity? I mean, parametric polymorphism?

6) Is there some kind of compatibility/equivalence check for arguments when a message is sent? or when a variable is assigned?

Most questions probably have very short answers (If I'm in the right direction).

3 Answers
Related