XML to CSV in Python

Viewed 41277

I'm having a lot of trouble converting an XML file to a CSV in Python. I've looked at many forums, tried both lxml and xmlutils.xml2csv, but I can't get it to work. It's GPS data from a Garmin GPS device.

Here's what my XML file looks like, shortened of course:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx xmlns:tc2="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:tp1="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtension/v1" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" version="1.1" creator="TC2 to GPX11 XSLT stylesheet" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtension/v1 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtensionv1.xsd">
  <trk>
      <name>2013-12-03T21:08:56Z</name>
      <trkseg>
          <trkpt lat="45.4852855" lon="-122.6347885">
              <ele>0.0000000</ele>
              <time>2013-12-03T21:08:56Z</time>
          </trkpt>
          <trkpt lat="45.4852961" lon="-122.6347926">
              <ele>0.0000000</ele>
              <time>2013-12-03T21:09:00Z</time>
          </trkpt>
          <trkpt lat="45.4852982" lon="-122.6347897">
              <ele>0.2000000</ele>
              <time>2013-12-03T21:09:01Z</time>
          </trkpt>
      </trkseg>
  </trk>
</gpx>

There are several trk tags in my massive XML file, but I can manage to separate them out -- they represent different "segments" or trips on the GPS device. All I want is a CSV file that plots something like this:

LAT         LON         TIME         ELE
45.4...     -122.6...   2013-12...   0.00...
...         ...         ...          ...

Here's the code I have so far:

## Call libraries
import csv
from xmlutils.xml2csv import xml2csv

inputs = "myfile.xml"
output = "myfile.csv"

converter = xml2csv(inputs, output)
converter.convert(tag="WHATEVER_GOES_HERE_RENDERS_EMPTY_CSV")

This is another alternative code. It merely outputs a CSV file with no data, just the headers lat and lon.

import csv
import lxml.etree

x = '''
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx xmlns:tc2="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:tp1="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtension/v1" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" version="1.1" creator="TC2 to GPX11 XSLT stylesheet" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtension/v1 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtensionv1.xsd">
<trk>
  <name>2013-12-03T21:08:56Z</name>
  <trkseg>
    <trkpt lat="45.4852855" lon="-122.6347885">
      <ele>0.0000000</ele>
      <time>2013-12-03T21:08:56Z</time>
    </trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="45.4852961" lon="-122.6347926">
      <ele>0.0000000</ele>
      <time>2013-12-03T21:09:00Z</time>
    </trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="45.4852982" lon="-122.6347897">
      <ele>0.2000000</ele>
      <time>2013-12-03T21:09:01Z</time>
    </trkpt>
  </trkseg>
</trk>
</gpx>
'''

with open('output.csv', 'w') as f:
    writer = csv.writer(f)
    writer.writerow(('lat', 'lon'))
    root = lxml.etree.fromstring(x)
    for trkpt in root.iter('trkpt'):
        row = trkpt.get('lat'), trkpt.get('lon')
        writer.writerow(row)

How do I do this? Please realize I'm a novice, so a more comprehensive explanation would be super awesome!

3 Answers

Apologies for using already-made tools here, but this did the job with your data :

  1. Convert XML to JSON : http://convertjson.com/xml-to-json.htm
  2. Take that JSON and convert JSON to CSV : https://konklone.io/json/

It worked like a charm with your data.

ele,time,_lat,_lon
0.0000000,2013-12-03T21:08:56Z,45.4852855,-122.6347885
0.0000000,2013-12-03T21:09:00Z,45.4852961,-122.6347926
0.2000000,2013-12-03T21:09:01Z,45.4852982,-122.6347897

So for coding, I reckon XML > JSON > CSV may be a good approach. You many find the relevant scripts pointed to in those links.

I wrote gpxcsv exactly for this case, and to handle gpx extension fields that other converters omit.

As easy as:

from gpxcsv import gpxtolist
import pandas as pd

df = pd.DataFrame(
    pxtolist('myfile.gpx'))

for a dataframe, or a command line tool exists to just create a .csv or .json file, preserving as many columns in the trackpoint as it finds using the tags as the column names.

Source code of the project on github.

Related