Calibrate camera with opencv, how does it work and how do i have to move my chessboard

Viewed 10756

I'm using openCV the calibrateCamera function to calibrate my camera. I started from the tutorial implementation, but there seems something wrong.

The camera is looking down on a table and i use a chessboard with an area that covers about 1/2 or 1/4 of my total image. Since I aim to track a flat object that slides over this table, I also slide my chessboard over this table.

So my first question is: is it ok that i move my chessboard over this table? Or do I have to make some 3D movements in order to get some good result? Because I was wondering: how does the function guesses the distance between the table and the camera? He has only a guess of his focal point, and he has only one "eye", so there is no depth vision.

My second question: how does the bloody thing work? :p Can anyone show me some implementation of this function?

Thx!

2 Answers
Related