Animate changing words width

Viewed 19947

I have a sentence where I fade in one word and replace it with another from an array. However, since the words all vary in length, the sentence width abruptly changes and it results in a choppy transition.
How can I animate the width change? I tried adding a transition to the container of the sentence in css but that didn't work. I applied the transition as 1.5s all linear, so it should be animating the width as well as everything else whenever there is change. Any ideas?

$(function() {
  var hello = ['dynamic', 'a', 'aklsjdlfajklsdlkf', 'asdf'];
  var used = ['dynamic'];
  var greeting = $('#what');
  var item;

  function hey() {

    item = hello[Math.floor(Math.random() * hello.length)];
    if (hello.length != used.length) {
      while (jQuery.inArray(item, used) != -1) {
        item = hello[Math.floor(Math.random() * hello.length)];
      }
      used.push(item);
    } else {
      used.length = 0;
      item = hello[Math.floor(Math.random() * hello.length)];
      used.push(item);
    }
    greeting.html(item);
    greeting.animate({
      "opacity": "1"
    }, 1500);
  }

  window.setInterval(function() {
    greeting.animate({
      "opacity": "0"
    }, 1500);
    setTimeout(hey, 1500)
  }, 5000);

});
#sentence {
  transition: 1.5s all linear;
}

#what {
  font-style: italic;
  text-decoration: underline;
  color: red;
}
<p id="sentence">
  This is a sentence that has <span id="what">dynamic</span> text that alters width.
</p>

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.1.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

EDIT: Sorry if I was unclear, I only want to fade out the word, not the entire sentence. I'm trying to animate the width to fit the new word. I don't want to change/add any elements, just solve with the current tags in place.

4 Answers
Related