Proper use of "content-available" in iOS 7 Push Notifications

Viewed 8402

I'm just looking for some feedback on my thought process surrounding iOS 7 and the "content-available" key value in a push notification payload.

Scenario: I force shut down the application. According to Apple because I've done this I will no longer receive any notifications that contain the key value "content-available" in their payload. This means that the alert doesn't show at all, basically nothing happens. No sounds, no alert message, no badge increment.

Theory: Because of the above scenario it seems as if you'd want to send two push notifications.

  1. A push notification with just your "alert","badge" and "sound" values so that the user sees a notification related to the update irregardless of the application state.

  2. A push notification with just the "content-available" key value. If the app is in a state where it can accept this it does and your background task is performed. In the case it can't accept it the user still receives a visual / audible notification from the first push notification.

Question: Is this how Apple intends the silent / background notifications to be executed? I don't really see another way that you could implement this.

1 Answers
Related