what is order of complexity in Big O notation?

Viewed 40534

Question

Hi I am trying to understand what order of complexity in terms of Big O notation is. I have read many articles and am yet to find anything explaining exactly 'order of complexity', even on the useful descriptions of Big O on here.

What I already understand about big O

The part which I already understand. about Big O notation is that we are measuring the time and space complexity of an algorithm in terms of the growth of input size n. I also understand that certain sorting methods have best, worst and average scenarios for Big O such as O(n) ,O(n^2) etc and the n is input size (number of elements to be sorted).

Any simple definitions or examples would be greatly appreciated thanks.

8 Answers
  • Constant Growth: O(1)
  • Linear Growth: O(n)
  • Quadratic Growth: O(n^2)
  • Cubic Growth: O(n^3)
  • Logarithmic Growth: (log(n)) or O(n*log(n))

Big O use Mathematical Definition of complexity .
Order Of use in industrial Definition of complexity .

Related