How to export a Vagrant virtual machine to transfer it

Viewed 113365

I have a vagrant box up and running (configured with a LAMP stack). I need to transfer it to another PC. How can I export it? I guess that I can get a file (or files) that can be copied to another PC, so there I can run some command to import the vagrant box.

8 Answers

I also had to copy the private_key file from .vagrant/machines/default/virtualbox folder in order for vagrant ssh to work

As of 2019 there is a subcommand: vagrant box repackage

vagrant box repackage --help 
Usage: vagrant box repackage <name> <provider> <version>
    -h, --help                       Print this help

You can find name provider and version by running vagrant box list

vagrant box list
macinbox (virtualbox, 10.14.5)

The ouput of vagrant box repackage is a file called package.box which is basically a tgz file which the content can be listed as below:

tar tzf package.box
./metadata.json
./box.ovf
./Vagrantfile
./box-disk001.vmdk
Related