autoconf complains "C compiler cannot create executables" on Linux Mint

Viewed 18715

I am trying to do an installations of Linux Mint 16 'petra' on both 32 and 64 bit installs.

I have no internet connection on my pc so have to install all additional software manually. Being a developer I thought I would attempt to install codeblocks with wxWidgets so followed the instructions found at:

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?ti

In order to perform the installation it appeared that i would need pre-requistites so following instructions found on https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable ... lding.html downloaded glib 'stuff', unpacked and ran configure.

It's at this point that things fail. I get a message in the terminal stating that the C compiler cannot create executables and to see config.log for more details which contains (amongst other stuff) the following:

gcc version 4.8.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.1-10ubuntu8) 
configure:4072: $? = 0
configure:4061: gcc -V >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
configure:4072: $? = 4
configure:4061: gcc -qversion >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

How do I diagnose these errors?

5 Answers

I faced the same error when installing python on RHEL 7. And Installing this lib is working for me:

yum install glibc-devel
yum install glibc-devel.i686

Thanks to Keith's hints. Met this problem twice. Initially it reports this in the shell print out:

gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'

But checking the config.log reviewed the real problem, it caused by the permssion issue of the Linux guest's vboxsf shared folder. Copying the build target folder to a non-shared folder fixed it.

configure:3995: ./conftest
./configure: line 3997: ./conftest: Permission denied
configure:3999: $? = 126
configure:4006: error: in `/home/my_virtual_box_shared_folder':
Related