Most resources state that the garbage collector figures that out on its own based on references and that I shouldn't mess with it.
I am wondering if I can explicitly tell the garbage collector that it may dispose an object while still keeping a reference.
What I would like to do is to tell the garbage collector that I currently don't need an object anymore (but might again) and then at a later point when (if) I need the object again I would like to check if it has been disposed already. If it has I simply recreate it, if it hasn't I'd like to "unmark" it from garbage collection until I am done with it again.
Is this possible?
I plan to implement something similar to the Lazy<T> class. Pseudocode:
obj = new DisposeIfNecessary<LargeObject>(() => InitLargeObject());
obj.DoSomething(); // Initializes obj using InitLargeObject()
obj.DisposeIfNecessary(); // This is where the magic happens
... // obj might get disposed at some point
obj.DoAnotherThing(); // Might or might not call InitLargeObject() again
obj.Dispose(); // I will not need it again