Cant VNC into Google Compute Engine

Viewed 9597

I have spent a couple days trying to install software on Google Compute Engine (GCE) and then remotely access it from either my windows pc or local linux machine.

I can install software, like Google Chrome, etc. but can't open the applications as I keep getting display issues (understandably because GCE is headless). So I'm trying to VNC into the GCE instance.

I have tried installing the following on the server: (Instance Name is "talend")

vnc4server: I get output saying the server is running and everything looks good. Only error I get is a Language error like the following:

steven@talend:~$ vnc4server -geometry 1440x900 :1 perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:LANGUAGE = (unset),LC_ALL = (unset),LANG = "en_ZA.UTF-8"are supported and installed on your system. perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C"). A VNC server is already running as :1

and

steven@talend:~$ vnc4server -geometry 1440x900 :2 perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:LANGUAGE = (unset),LC_ALL = (unset),LANG = "en_ZA.UTF-8"are supported and installed on your system. perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C"). New 'talend:2 (steven)' desktop is talend:2 Starting applications specified in /home/steven/.vnc/xstartup Log file is /home/steven/.vnc/talend:2.log

Remote Access: Using TightVNC client via Windows

I get the following message:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Remote Access: Using Vinagre via Linux

Connection to host 8.34.210.67::5902 was closed.

Via Google Compute Engine Web Console:

Tried changing to static ip > No Difference

Tried adding tcp:80 with Source: 0.0.0.0/0 > No Difference

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this but I can't seem to find it. Any help will be appreciated and then will post a link to the final solution.

Thanks.

3 Answers

Try:

$ sudo iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source destination
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source destination
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source destination

if it is not similar flush:

sudo iptables -F
Related