Haskell: do standard libraries assume Eq and Ord are compatible?

Viewed 863

This is a followup question to Inconsistent Eq and Ord instances?.

The question there is essentially: when declaring Eq and Ord instances for a type, must one ensure that compare x y returns EQ if and only if x == y returns True? Is it dangerous to create instances that break this assumption? It seems like a natural law one might assume, but it doesn’t appear to be explicitly stated in the Prelude, unlike e.g. the monad or functor laws.

The basic response was: it is a bit dangerous to do this, since libraries may assume that this law holds.

My question, now, is: do any of the standard libraries (in particular, Set or Map) make this assumption? Is it dangerous to have a type with incompatible Eq and Ord, so long as I am only relying on the standard libraries supplied with GHC? (If big-list questions were still acceptable, I would be asking: which commonly used libraries assume this law?)

Edit. My use-case is similar to that of the original question. I have a type with a custom instance of Eq, that I use quite a bit. The only reason I want Ord is so that I can use it as the domain of a Map; I don’t care about the specific order, and will never use it explicitly in code. So if I can use the derived instance of Ord, then my life will be easier and my code clearer.

3 Answers
Related