Perfect Synchronization with Web Audio API

Viewed 7924

I'm working on a simple audio visualization application that uses a Web Audio API analyzer to pull frequency data, as in this example. Expectedly, the more visual elements I add to my canvases, the more latency there is between the audio and the yielded visual results.

Is there a standard approach to accounting for this latency? I can imagine a lookahead technique that buffers the upcoming audio data. I could work with synchronizing the JavaScript and Web Audio clocks, but I'm convinced that there's a much more intuitive answer. Perhaps it is as straightforward as playing the audio aloud with a slight delay (although this is not nearly as comprehensive).

The dancer.js library seems to have the same problem (always has a very subtle delay), whereas other applications seem to have solved the lag issue entirely. I have insofar been unable to pinpoint the technical difference. SoundJS seems to handle this a bit better, but it would be nice to build from scratch.

Any methodologies to point me in the right direction are much appreciated.

2 Answers
Related