Draw a transparent circle onto a filled android canvas

Viewed 8809

enter image description here

I am trying to do something very simple (see above). I want all of the pixels of a canvas to be a solid color, except for the the pixels that fill a centered circle. I have read hundreds stack overflow post on this subject and have tried hundreds of things including setting the PorterDuff.Mode. Here is my current onDraw() of MyView extends View:

  protected void onDraw(Canvas canvas) {
    int w = canvas.getWidth();
    int h = canvas.getHeight();

    Paint framePaint = new Paint();
    framePaint.setStyle(Paint.Style.FILL);
    framePaint.setColor(Color.BLUE);
    canvas.drawRect(0, 0, w, h, framePaint);

    Paint transparentPaint = new Paint();
    transparentPaint.setColor(Color.TRANSPARENT);
    transparentPaint.setAntiAlias(true);
    canvas.drawCircle(w / 2, h / 2, (w + h) / 4, transparentPaint);
  }

Am I misunderstanding something, why cant I paint over an existing pixel with transparent paint. When I do this the pixel stays the same. When I use PorterDuff, the pixel turns black. Please help.

1 Answers
Related