What is going on when I set app.wsgi_app = ProxyFix(app.wsgi_app) when running a Flask app on gunicorn?

Viewed 15253

I built a basic web app using Flask, and was able to run it from a virtual machine using its native http server. I quickly realized that with this set up, requests are blocking (I couldn't make concurrent requests for resources; any new request would wait until earlier requests had finished), and decided to try gunicorn to run the app to solve this problem. I followed the documentation, specifically running with this line:

gunicorn -w 4 -b 127.0.0.1:4000 myproject:app 

However, it failed to boot doing just this, and complained that there was no WSGI app. Poking around the internet, I found that a number of people had posted examples including the following:

from werkzeug.contrib.fixers import ProxyFix
app.wsgi_app = ProxyFix(app.wsgi_app)

I added that, and it resolved my problem. I am confused though because this is apparently meant to solve a problem serving behind an HTTP proxy, but would the addition of gunicorn impose an HTTP proxy? Or was I always behind a proxy, and it just didn't matter for Flask's built-in server?

Also, Werkzeug's documentation on Fixers warns "Do not use this middleware in non-proxy setups for security reasons." Considering the fix was clearly necessary, can I assume I'm on a proxy setup?

2 Answers

A little late to the party, but here is what the documentation says about ProxyFix.

To paraphrase: Deploying your server using gunicorn behind an HTTP proxy you will need to rewrite some of the headers so that the application can work. And Werkzeug ships with a fixer that will solve some of the common setups.

Related