How to reduce the package size

Viewed 4315

I have implemented an Android application using Xamarin:

The size of the .apk is 13.6MB with:

  • Configuration: Release
  • Linking: Sdk Assemblies Only
  • Suported architectures: armeabi,armeabi-v7a

Here is the overview of sizes of the main components taken from the compiled .apk:

(these are the uncompressed sizes, I unarchived the .apk to a directory and looked to the files in Windows Explorer):

  • classes.dex (1.23 KB)
  • the two libmonodroid.iso (armeabi + armeabi-v7a) (5.58 MB)
  • all Mono.xxx.dll (3.89 MB)
  • mscorlib.dll (1.51 MB)
  • all System.xxx.dll (2.56 MB)

  • My app assemblies (the Droid app + one PCL) (204 KB)

  • MvvmCross + plugins (599 KB)
  • Xamarin ActionbarSherlock (348 KB)
  • ZXing.monoandroid (413 KB)
  • PCL Newtonsoft.Json (398 KB)
  • PCL Microsoft HTTP Client libraries (System.Net.Http.dll) (110KB)

  • 'res' folder (Size: 451KB Size on disk: 816KB) - because some files are 1KB they produce fragmentation, so Actual size vs Size on disk is significantly different

  • all PNG files (Size: 325KB Size on Disk: 496KB on disk)

What can I do in order to reduce the size of the compiled .apk?

I find it pretty big.

1 Answers
Related