Correct use for angular-translate in controllers

Viewed 178119

I'm using angular-translate for i18n in an AngularJS application.

For every application view, there is a dedicated controller. In the controllers below, I set the value to be shown as the page title.

Code

HTML

<h1>{{ pageTitle }}</h1>

JavaScript

.controller('FirstPageCtrl', ['$scope', '$filter', function ($scope, $filter) {
        $scope.pageTitle = $filter('translate')('HELLO_WORLD');
    }])

.controller('SecondPageCtrl', ['$scope', '$filter', function ($scope, $filter) {
        $scope.pageTitle = 'Second page title';
    }])

I'm loading the translation files using the angular-translate-loader-url extension.

Problem

On the initial page load, the translation key is shown instead of the translation for that key. The translation is Hello, World!, but I'm seeing HELLO_WORLD.

The second time I go to the page, all is well and the translated version is shown.

I assume the issue has to do with the fact that maybe the translation file is not yet loaded when the controller is assigning the value to $scope.pageTitle.

Remark

When using <h1>{{ pageTitle | translate }}</h1> and $scope.pageTitle = 'HELLO_WORLD';, the translation works perfect from the first time. The problem with this is that I don't always want to use translations (eg. for the second controller I just want to pass a raw string).

Question

Is this a known issue / limitation? How can this be solved?

5 Answers

What is happening is that Angular-translate is watching the expression with an event-based system, and just as in any other case of binding or two-way binding, an event is fired when the data is retrieved, and the value changed, which obviously doesn't work for translation. Translation data, unlike other dynamic data on the page, must, of course, show up immediately to the user. It can't pop in after the page loads.

Even if you can successfully debug this issue, the bigger problem is that the development work involved is huge. A developer has to manually extract every string on the site, put it in a .json file, manually reference it by string code (ie 'pageTitle' in this case). Most commercial sites have thousands of strings for which this needs to happen. And that is just the beginning. You now need a system of keeping the translations in synch when the underlying text changes in some of them, a system for sending the translation files out to the various translators, of reintegrating them into the build, of redeploying the site so the translators can see their changes in context, and on and on.

Also, as this is a 'binding', event-based system, an event is being fired for every single string on the page, which not only is a slower way to transform the page but can slow down all the actions on the page, if you start adding large numbers of events to it.

Anyway, using a post-processing translation platform makes more sense to me. Using GlobalizeIt for example, a translator can just go to a page on the site and start editing the text directly on the page for their language, and that's it: https://www.globalizeit.com/HowItWorks. No programming needed (though it can be programmatically extensible), it integrates easily with Angular: https://www.globalizeit.com/Translate/Angular, the transformation of the page happens in one go, and it always displays the translated text with the initial render of the page.

Full disclosure: I'm a co-founder :)

Related