Do my web app's users need direct access to my database?

Viewed 203

I'm creating a web app that users will create an account for, which allows them to read/write data on a database. I'm about to start creating the login authentication part of the website, and its my first time really doing this part. As I understand it, I'm going to create a users table which will store all the necessary login info for the website.

I know there are also database roles/permissions. My question is about how the 2 relate in this instance. Do I need to authenticate the users on the website and the database? My thought process was that if all of my PHP scripts are set up in such a way that the session data will only allow authenticated users read/write to the DB, then I don't need to do anything on the database end, but I want to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

Is that clear as mud?

2 Answers
Related