Wild card in java Generic and <? super T> meaning, lower or upper bound

Viewed 1273

So I am reading about generic method and I am get confused. Let me state the problem here first:

In this example: Suppose that I need a version of selectionSort that works for any type T, by using an external comparable supplied by the caller.

First attempt:

public static <T> void selectionSort(T[] arr, Comparator<T> myComparator){....}

Suppose that I have:

  • Defined vehicle class
  • created VehicleComparator implementing Comparator while compare vehicles by their price.
  • created Truck extends vehicle
  • instantiated Truck[] arr ; VehicleComparator myComparator

Now, I do:

selectionSort(arr, myComparator);

and it won't work, because myComparator is not available for any subclass of Vehicle.

Then, I do this:

public static <T> void selectionSort(T[] arr, Comparator<? super T> myComparator){....}

This declaration will work, but I don't completely sure what I've been doing... I know use is the way to go. If "? super T" means "an unknown supertype of T", then am I imposing a upper or lower bound? Why is it super? My intention is to let any subclass of T to use myComparator, why "? super T". So confused... I'd appreciate if you have any insight in this..

Thanks ahead!

4 Answers
Related