ExpectedException Assert

Viewed 17693

I need to write a unit test for the next function and I saw I can use [ExpectedException]

this is the function to be tested.

public static T FailIfEnumIsNotDefined<T>(this T enumValue, string message = null)
        where T:struct
    {
        var enumType = typeof (T);

        if (!enumType.IsEnum)
        {
            throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException(string.Format("Type {0} is not an Enum, therefore it cannot be checked if it is Defined not have defined.", enumType.FullName));
        } 
        else if (!Enum.IsDefined(enumType, enumValue))
        {
            throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException(string.Format("{1} Value {0} is not does not have defined value in Enum of type {0}. It should not be...", enumType.FullName, message ?? ""));
        }

        return enumValue;
    }

and here would go the code to test the exceptions that are supposed to be threw

    [TestMethod] 
    [ExpectedException(ArgumentOutOfRangeException(ArgumentException), "message")]
    public void FailIfEnumIsNotDefined_Check_That_The_Value_Is_Not_Enum()
    {
        // PREPARE
        // EXECUTE
        // ASSERT
    }

I don't have idea have to make the assert for the exceptions either.

5 Answers
Related