Implementing Bitcoin and java.util.Currency

Viewed 2448

I'm trying to add bitcoin as a currency to display on my site. I've got exchange rates and everything, but I keep getting an IllegalArgumentException whenever I use java.util.Currency.getInstance("BTC"). This makes sense since it's not included in the list of ISO 4217 currency codes, and also not in Java 7. I've seen a couple of options, but nothing that really solves my issue.

  1. According to the Java platform docs, you can override a specific locale's currency by creating a file $JAVA_HOME/lib/currency.properties. This is a problem since bitcoin is not tied to a specific locale, nor should it be used in place of any country's currency.

  2. Another similar situation was presented in this StackOverflow post, where China had a second currency code to be used, so the solution was to build your own currency.data file that added a second currency for the China locale. This is better, but there is still the issue of tying a currency to a locale.

Has anyone run into this problem or found a workaround? I know bitcoin is relatively new, but it'd be cool to be able to display prices in bitcoin format.

2 Answers
Related