HTTPS server with Python

Viewed 15642

I have written a simple webserver & client with python, following is my code. I want to implement HTTPS, for that I am using standard SSL library. I am using Python 2.7.3. I generated certificate file and self signed it. So I have .crt and .key files which I use it to bind on the socket.

When I browse it from the browser, I get the exception error that certificate is self signed and I have to add it to the exceptions. Then it works.

Code of my sever :

import BaseHTTPServer
import urlparse
import urllib 
import SocketServer
import threading
import ssl

HOST_NAME = 'localhost'
PORT_NUMBER = 8089


class Handler(BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
    def do_HEAD(self):
        self.send_response(200)
        self.send_header("Content-type", "text/html")
        self.end_headers()

    def do_GET(self):

        self.send_response(200)
        self.send_header("Content-type", "text/html")
        self.end_headers()

        if self.path == '/get/':
            self.wfile.write('On /get/')
            return
        self.wfile.write('On root')
        return    

    def do_POST(self):
        pass

class ThreadedHTTPServer(SocketServer.ThreadingMixIn, BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer):
    pass


if __name__ == '__main__':
    httpd = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer((HOST_NAME, PORT_NUMBER), Handler)
    httpd.socket = ssl.wrap_socket (httpd.socket, keyfile='my_key.key', certfile='my_cert.crt', server_side=True)
    try:
        httpd.serve_forever()
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
        httpd.server_close()
    print "Server Stopped - %s:%s" % (HOST_NAME, PORT_NUMBER)

However I am trying to use requests module and when I provide the .crt file with the requests, I get the following error:

requests.get('https://localhost:8089', verify=True)
#requests.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

requests.get('https://localhost:8089', verify='my_cert.crt')
#requests.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

requests.get('https://localhost:8089', cert='my_crt.crt')
#requests.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 336265225] _ssl.c:351: error:140B0009:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:PEM lib

requests.get('https://localhost:8089', cert=('my_crt.crt', 'my_key.key'))
# requests.exceptions.SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed    

requests.get('https://localhost:8089', verify=False)
#<Response [200]>

1) Why I am getting this error? I certainly don't want to use 'verify=False'. I want to validate the certificate at the client side.

2) (Assuming I get to make it work) If I enforce cert_reqs=CERT_REQUIRED by changing :

httpd.socket = ssl.wrap_socket (httpd.socket, keyfile='my_key.key', certfile='my_cert.crt', cert_reqs=CERT_REQUIRED, server_side=True)

then does it mean only people who have my cert file (my_cert.crt) will be able to send request and get the response and people who don't, will not be able to?

1 Answers
Related