MySQLdb Python insert %d and %s

Viewed 83542

Precursor:

MySQL Table created via:
CREATE TABLE table(Id INT PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL, Param1 VARCHAR(50))

Function:

.execute("INSERT INTO table VALUES(%d,%s)", (int(id), string)

Output:

TypeError: %d format: a number is required, not a str

I'm not sure what's going on here or why I am not able to execute the command. This is using MySQLdb in Python. .execute is performed on a cursor object.

EDIT:

The question: Python MySQLdb issues (TypeError: %d format: a number is required, not str) says that you must use %s for all fields. Why might this be? Why does this command work?

.execute("INSERT INTO table VALUES(%s,%s)", (int(id), string)
4 Answers

I found a solution on dev.mysql.com. In short, use a dict, not a tuple in the second parameter of .execute():

add_salary = ("INSERT INTO salaries "
              "(emp_no, salary, from_date, to_date) "
              "VALUES (%(emp_no)s, %(salary)s, %(from_date)s, %(to_date)s)")

data_salary = {
  'emp_no': emp_no,
  'salary': 50000,
  'from_date': tomorrow,
  'to_date': date(9999, 1, 1),
}

cursor.execute(add_salary, data_salary)
Related