Threading vs Task-Based vs Asynchronous Programming

Viewed 22402

I'm new to this concept. Are these the same or different things? What is the difference? I really like the idea of being able to run two processes at once, for example if I have several large files to load into my program I'd love to load as many of them simultaneously as possible instead of waiting for one at a time. And when working with a large file, such as wav file, it would be great to break it into pieces and do processing on several chunks at once and then put them back together. What do I want to look into to learn how to do this sort of thing?

Edit: Also, I know using more than one core on a multicore processor fits in here somewhere, but apparently asynchronous programming doesn't necessarily mean you are using multiple cores? Why would you do this if you didn't have multiple cores to take advantage of?

2 Answers
Related