Inserting data to Access Duplicate Data Error

Viewed 1791

I have wrote some vbscript that updates all new fields in one access database from a table in another database however I am having problems with duplicate primary keys.

I can't change the structure of the database so I can't remove the primary keys however ideally I would like it to auto populate the primary key. Here is my table structure (their are two tables)

Table 'Order':

Order Sequence Number   About 20 more rows of data that do not have to be unique
a primary key e.g 2     other data

Table 'OrderDetail':

OrderDetail     OrderSequence       Some other rows that don't need to be unique
a primary key   the key from Order  some other data

My first problem is having the primary key for both tables auto populate so they are unique, then my second problem is matching the two rows that are being added and if the primary key changes on 'Order' table for 'Order Sequence Number' update it on 'OrderSequence' in the table 'OrderDetail'.

Here is my vbscript that works copying values if they are unique:

Public Function dhupdate1()

    'Temp field
    Dim fField As Field
    Dim bCopy As Boolean

    'Open source database
    Dim dSource As Database
    Set dSource = CurrentDb

    'Open dest database
    Dim dDest As Database
    Set dDest = DAO.OpenDatabase("\\BMCDONALD-PC\SellerDeck 2013\Sites\New_Site\ActinicCatalog.mdb")

    'Open source recordset
    Dim rSource As Recordset
    Set rSource = dSource.OpenRecordset("OrderDetail", dbOpenForwardOnly)

    'Open dest recordset
    Dim rDest As Recordset
    Set rDest = dDest.OpenRecordset("OrderDetail", dbOpenDynaset)

    'Loop through source recordset
    While Not rSource.EOF

        'Reset copy flag
        bCopy = False

        'Look for record in dest recordset
        rDest.FindFirst "OrderDetailID = " & rSource.Fields("OrderDetailID") & ""

        If rDest.NoMatch Then
           'If not found, copy record
            rDest.AddNew
            bCopy = True
        End If

        'If copy flag is set, copy record
        If bCopy Then
            For Each fField In rSource.Fields
                rDest.Fields(fField.Name) = rSource.Fields(fField.Name)
            Next fField
            Set fField = Nothing
            rDest.Update
        End If

        'Next source record
        rSource.MoveNext
    Wend

    'Close dest recordset
    rDest.Close
    Set rDest = Nothing

    'Close source recordset
    rSource.Close
    Set rSource = Nothing

    'Close dest database
    dDest.Close
    Set dDest = Nothing

    'Close source database
    dSource.Close
    Set dSource = Nothing

End Function
Public Function dhupdate2()

   'Temp field
    Dim fField As Field
    Dim bCopy As Boolean

    'Open source database
    Dim dSource As Database
    Set dSource = CurrentDb

    'Open dest database
    Dim dDest As Database
    Set dDest = DAO.OpenDatabase("\\BMCDONALD-PC\SellerDeck 2013\Sites\New_Site\ActinicCatalog.mdb")

    'Open source recordset
    Dim rSource As Recordset
    Set rSource = dSource.OpenRecordset("Order", dbOpenForwardOnly)

    'Open dest recordset
    Dim rDest As Recordset
    Set rDest = dDest.OpenRecordset("Order", dbOpenDynaset)

    'Loop through source recordset
    While Not rSource.EOF

        'Reset copy flag
        bCopy = False

        'Look for record in dest recordset
        rDest.FindFirst "[Order Number] = '" & rSource.Fields("Order Number") & "'"

        If rDest.NoMatch Then
           'If not found, copy record
            rDest.AddNew
            bCopy = True
        End If

        'If copy flag is set, copy record - ignore errors
        If bCopy Then
            For Each fField In rSource.Fields
                On Error Resume Next
                rDest.Fields(fField.Name) = rSource.Fields(fField.Name)
                On Error GoTo 0
            Next fField
            Set fField = Nothing
            rDest.Update
        End If

        'Next source record
        rSource.MoveNext
    Wend

    'Close dest recordset
    rDest.Close
    Set rDest = Nothing

    'Close source recordset
    rSource.Close
    Set rSource = Nothing

    'Close dest database
    dDest.Close
    Set dDest = Nothing

    'Close source database
    dSource.Close
    Set dSource = Nothing

End Function

I have been reading about auto populating if its not unique however I am getting confused where I need these two functions to get both rows for one order and changing both numbers for the order sequence. I am still fairly new to VB so any help is really appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

1 Answers
Related