My app schedules UILocalNotifications to be delivered to its users at varying times of the user's choice.
I'm running into a situation with how to manage the applicationIconBadgeNumber in this scenario.
As we know, you have to set the badge number at the time you create the notification. My problem is that the state of the number of badges can change at any time. Consider this scenario:
1) User gets 3 notifications.
2) User creates a new notification to alert her at a given point of time in the future. This notification carries the value of 1 plus the current value of the application badge (3).
3) User goes about their business. In the process of their business, they clear all 3 notifications (and, thus, badge numbers) they currently have by viewing them or otherwise using the app.
4) After the given amount of time passes, the notification appears in iOS, along with its previously calculated value (4, if you don't remember).
5) The application badge is now, 4 even though the user only has one actual notification.
I have searched up and down, but I cannot find an answer to this question which almost certainly has a simple answer I'm completely missing. How do I solve this quandary?