I need help turning off this feature if possible from the interactive mode or I'm going to go mad. The REPL insists on an equal sign before every expression if you want the value. I find this very irritating and unintuitive. To make matters worse, if you mistakenly forget the equal sign, it takes you to this secondary prompt which can only be exited by typing an expression that'll cause an error.
*** str="This is some string"
*** str
>>
>>
>> =
>>
>> =str
stdin:6: unexpected symbol near '='
*** =str
This is some string
*** #str
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near '#'
*** =#str
19
***
*** 545+8
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near '545'
*** =545+8
553
***
I need a lesson in using the REPL:
Is there a way to get rid of the equal sign so that it behaves like other REPLs?
How do you exit from the secondary prompt without doing what I did?