Debug ipad safari with a PC

Viewed 86463

I want to test my website on Safari on my ipad. I only have another PC. Is there a way for me to do remote debugging like ADB with mobile Chrome? I searched on StackOverflow, seems there is an Adobe Edge Inspect CC, but I don't know if this is a good choice.

Thanks!

9 Answers

This question was more than 4 years ago, but I feel like it's worth to mention another option which is platform-independent which seems is not mentioned above:

VConsole

It's a JavaScript that you can inject into your page(s) which will overwrite all native console output and show it as an overlay on top of your page content, in a level of detail that is almost as good as Google Chrome's Developer Tools.

Runs well on iOS Safari, as well as on other mobile browsers - for as long as JavaScript is enabled in the browser.

How to install: https://www.npmjs.com/package/vconsole

You will need NPM tools to install it, but not actually required to use NPM to build your project. You can simply install VConsole somewhere in a separate folder, and just copy-paste vconsole.min.js from it.

Once you inject it into your page, will look like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="vconsole.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript>let vc = new VConsole(); // this will initialize it.</script>

Visually is very appealing, you will see green button in lower-right corner of your page on your mobile/desktop browser, which will open console overlay.

Very neat!

Of course, it does not provide you with ability to select an element, see calculated css etc., but if you are looking for console output and some network report, this one is really easy to use.

October 2019

AFAIK, For recent IOS versions there is no overall solution for debugging IOS from a PC.

You can however use one of the following solutions:

  1. Display console messages in the browser itself. As described here and in Sinisa's answer.
  2. The "remotedebug-ios-webkit-adapter" doesn't work for debugging IOS 12+. It requires extra steps for IOS 11, and works for IOS 10 and perhaps older versions as well.

I haven't tried this on a PC, but you should be able to go to http://[DEVICE_IP_ADDRESS]:9999 to debug.

2021 update:

The creator of RemoteDebug here. I've built a replacement for RemoteDebug called Inspect, which packages everything together in a pleasant experience and enables easy iOS web debugging from Windows, macOS, and Linux, with a few extra features like screencasting and wifi debugging.

http://inspect.dev

Related