Java library for Java to EDI conversion

Viewed 25464

I am looking for a Java library that does Java to EDI conversion - more specifically an EDI 835 format used in Healthcare. Although a lot of libraries promise Java to EDI conversion, there is no documentation or code samples available for the same on their sites. Here is a list of libraries I have tried so far with no luck:

1. EdiReader(EdiWriter is commercial and does not have a trial download).
2. Smooks(No trial download and documentation does not mention Java to EDI conversion).
3. Open Business Objects - OBOE from americancoders.com(Has a trial download but Java to EDI not mentioned).
4. Oakland data transformer(This doesn't even let me download the library and docs).

Does anyone know other solutions that might be helpful ?
I am open to any commercial solution too.

Thanks!

5 Answers

If you're open to a commercial solution, you may want to look at Altova's MapForce. It has a drag-drop mapper that you can create your map, and then it generates code to plug into your application. MapForce

"Java to EDI" seems to be a popular misnomer. In your case, you are creating a standardized text document (in this case an 835 EDI document) from source data (RDBMS, XML, flat file, iDoc, etc). Java is the conduit. You are basically trying to reinvent a 30+ year old wheel by writing your own translator / parser and that is usually done without the benefits of EDI syntax checking / FA reconciliation / robust partner tools. If I wanted to stop that kind of insanity, I'd look at Liaison and their tools, specifically ECS and Delta. Those tools are Windows-based, so that might not be an option, but for an inexpensive commercial tool that can integrate easily with your architecture, your ROI would be apparent quickly.

I agree that there are very few open source libraries in the market which can help on EDI to xml conversion. Many of them have not been updated for years. I visited the "Smooks" site and it seems, that the project has been discontinued.

If you are okay with paying for a solution, you may give EDI parser from Progress a try.

It comes with a free trial version for 15 days and the apis are very easy to use and integrate in your project.

It does not only support EDI to xml conversion, but also EDI to CSV conversion (you have the option to decide the delimiter).

There is not much Open source Java EDI APIs. But still, there are some as you provided.

I have also searched many.

Smook needs some XML configuration to read the particular EDI file.

Then I tried EDI Reader. Actually EDI reader is available to download from internet.

For me it was the only one that helped me to convert one EDI file to XML. Even the generated XML was somewhat complicated. But you can use any other API to parse the XML. Here is the download link for EDI Reader.

Read about EDI Reader, and for example programs, downloads.

It is a ZIP file Contains JAR files and some example JAVA codes

Related