I read the term trap-and-emulate virtualization in some articles on how to set up a virtual pc. Can anyone please tell me what this term means?
I understood that it definitely is some method for creating a virtual pc. But how is it done?
I read the term trap-and-emulate virtualization in some articles on how to set up a virtual pc. Can anyone please tell me what this term means?
I understood that it definitely is some method for creating a virtual pc. But how is it done?
Attempting a privileged instruction when in user mode causes an error to occur thus leading to trap state.
And after this the VMM (Virtual Machine Manager) gets control and analyzed the error , executes the operation as attempted by the guest and then return the control back to guest in user mode.
Note : Kernel mode privileged command runs slower due to trap and emulate
There are two types of operations performed by OS/Application running on Virtual Machine Manager (or Hypervisor):