I am trying to find out a high-level overview of how the USB storage driver works in Linux. I'm looking for a simple article or even a picture/flowchart describing how it works.
Basically, I'm looking to get these questions answered:
When you plug the device into your computer, what happens? Is there a daemon that picks up on it, or does the event trigger an interrupt somewhere? Does the core USB driver read information about the device before passing control over to the USB storage driver? How does it decide what type of device it is? How does the device get mounted, and what allows it to communicate with the computer's filesystem? When I copy a file, what does the data flow look like in the kernel?
I hope the question isn't too vague - I tried Google to no avail, so I'm wondering if anyone knows any articles or diagrams that can explain this, or perhaps if they can explain it themselves without too much effort. Thanks.