Cannot connect to remote SQL server

Viewed 30736

A client of mine gave me a server name which is fully qualified [servername].somedomain.net to try to connect to their SQL Server instance over VPN.

So I tried, using the username and password they gave me. No luck. I can ping it but cannot connect, I get the error that the username and password is incorrect.

So I log onto the actual server, verify that my login is in security and has rights and it appears there. Workgroup\mylogin and it appears that workgroup\ actually is the same as somedomain.net\mylogin. Because when I try to add somedomain.net\mylogin, it resorts to saying that it's already added which is workgroup\mylogin.

Not sure what else to check here. I gave myself sysadmin role in SQL Server. I can ping the server's IP.

I looked at how they are authenticating me and they have my user in SQL Server set up to use Windows Auth. Well, the error I get is that it cannot trust cross domain when trying to use windows auth when I try to connect locally here in my management studio. I'm connected tot their VPN so what could be the problem?

They're not available right now to try to troubleshoot it and I'm just curious what else I might try to try and resolve this on my own if I can.

3 Answers

I had the same problem, other machines could connect to sql server but one computer was not connecting and displaying the error "a network related or instance specific error...", the problem was solved when I changed the network protocol in the login window of SSMS, in advanced options from TCP/IP to Named Pipes. Please see the below screenshots.

Connect to server dialog of SSMS - click options

Select Named pipes in network protocol dialog on connection properties tab

Please note that you should be on the same domain, and your credentials should be valid on the server.

Related