Using SSH to open application on desktop

Viewed 11988

So normally people ask how to forward x11 to the local machine, but rather I want to leave the application running on the remote box's desktop.

So let say I ssh from a windows machine (using putty) and run xclock & disown. If I then walked over to my desktop and look at the screen and see xclock running on the linux machine.

Any way to do that? Using Mint 13.

5 Answers

I recently had to do some python tkinter development on a Raspberry Pi with Thonny, where I wanted the tkinter graphics to show on the Pi's X server. For this specific purpose, I created a /usr/bin/pythonx script which simply consisted of:

#!/bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0 python "$@"

This wrapping technique works when Thonny ssh's into the Pi where the user is also logged in at the GUI desktop, as the ssh user has access to the .Xauthority data needed to send X client requests (application) to the server (GUI).

Related