Let's solve the "Failed to find style 'mapViewstyle' in current theme" error

Viewed 30725

Sorry to post yet another one of these, but it seems we have yet to document every solution to this issue.

Here's what happened: I added a mapview, everything was working peachy. I added a slidingdrawer and moved buttons into it, then changed the root node from a linear to a relative. Since then I get an error in the Graphical Layout of my main.xml class that reads

Missing styles. Is the correct theme chosen for this layout? Use the Theme combo box above the layout to choose a different layout, or fix the theme style references. Failed to find style 'mapViewStyle' in current theme.

Toggling the root node to linear and back to relative has gotten the map to display, but the error is still in the graphical layout.

So far I have done the following solutions, which may resolve the issue for most cases:

  1. Added a style.xml to create a 'mapView' style.
  2. Verified my build target is API 2.3.3 (10)
  3. Made sure <uses-library android:name="com.google.android.maps"/> is a child node of Application.
  4. Clean/rebuilt my application.
  5. Deleted R.
  6. Deleted and rebuilt main.xml
  7. Restarted the adb server, Eclipse, my computer, and my device.
  8. Toggled between Android 3.0 and Android 2.3.3 in the Graphical Layout.

However, my problem persists. Here's my layout xml.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<RelativeLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:id="@+id/RelativeLayout1"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent"
android:orientation="vertical" >


<com.google.android.maps.MapView
    xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
    android:id="@+id/mapview"
    style="@style/mapView"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    android:layout_alignParentBottom="true"
    android:layout_alignParentLeft="true"
    android:layout_alignParentTop="true"
    android:apiKey="asdf" //not my real key
    android:clickable="true" />

<!-- TODO: update the API key with release signature -->
<SlidingDrawer
    android:id="@+id/slidingDrawer1"
    android:layout_width="match_parent"
    android:layout_height="match_parent"
    android:content="@+id/content"
    android:handle="@+id/handle" >

    <Button
        android:id="@+id/handle"
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:text="@string/Menu" />


    <LinearLayout
        android:id="@+id/content"
        android:layout_width="match_parent"
        android:layout_height="match_parent" >

        <Button
            android:id="@+id/about"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:text="@string/about" />

        <Button
            android:id="@+id/record"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:text="@string/record" />

        <Button
            android:id="@+id/start"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:text="@string/start" />

    </LinearLayout>

</SlidingDrawer>
</RelativeLayout>

Here is my manifest xml.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
package="edu.myschoolhere"
android:versionCode="1"
android:versionName="1.0" >

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="10" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"/>

<application
    android:icon="@drawable/ic_launcher"
    android:label="@string/app_name" >
    <uses-library android:name="com.google.android.maps"/>
    <activity
        android:name=".GeoTagActivity"
        android:label="@string/app_name"
        android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar" >
        <intent-filter>
            <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

            <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
        </intent-filter>
    </activity>
</application>

</manifest>

If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I'll do my best to post back if I ever figure it out.

5 Answers
Related