Get a List<string> of my enum attributes with a generic method

Viewed 7203

At start, we have this basic enum.

public enum E_Levels {

    [ValueOfEnum("Low level")]
    LOW,

    [ValueOfEnum("Normal level")]
    NORMAL,

    [ValueOfEnum("High level")]
    HIGH
}

And I would like to get a List<string> whatever the enum. Something like Extensions.GetValuesOfEnum<E_Levels>() which could return a List<string> with "Low level", "Normal level" and "High level" in it.

StackOF helped me to get one value attribute :

public static class Extensions {

    public static string ToValueOfEnum(this Enum value) {

        FieldInfo fieldInfo = value.GetType().GetField(value.ToString());
        ValueOfEnum[] attribs = fieldInfo.GetCustomAttributes(typeof(ValueOfEnum), false) as ValueOfEnum[];
        return attribs.Length > 0 ? attribs[0].value : null;
    }
}

And I can call this method whatever the enum : E_Levels.LOW.ToValueOfEnum().

Furthermore, StackOF helped me to get a List<string> for a specific enum. I made this method in a controller :

private List<string> GetLevels() {

List<string> levelsToReturn = new List<string>();
var levels = Enum.GetValues(typeof(E_Levels)).Cast<E_Levels>();
foreach(E_Levels l in levels) 
    levelsToReturn.Add(l.ToValueOfEnum());

return levelsToReturn;
}

But this way requires me to rewrite the same method for each enum.
So I tried to add this generic method my class Extensions :

public static class Extensions {

    public static string ToValueOfEnum(this Enum value) {...}

    public static List<string> GetValuesOf<T>() {

        List<string> levelsToReturn = new List<string>();
        var levels = Enum.GetValues(typeof(T)).Cast<T>();
        foreach(T l in levels) 
        levelsToReturn.Add(l.ToValueOfEnum());

        return levelsToReturn;
    }
}

But in my foreach, .ToValueOfEnum() is an unknown method.

So I am in trouble, I hoped I could find a way to not rewrite again and again the same method for each enum...

3 Answers
Related