Visual Studio 2010 doesn't generate Resource (Resx) designer code if file is localized

Viewed 14450

I've just come across the weirdest behavior in Visual Studio 2010 while working with Resx resource files and I just can't wrap my head around it.

The problem is as follows: Visual Studio will not generate the designer.cs file for a resource file with a localized name (such as resource.fr.resx), but it works fine for other files with simple names (such as resource.resx).

Here's a snapshot of my visual studio project setup:

enter image description here

As you can see I just did a simple test with 3 resource files:

  • test.resx
  • test2.resx
  • test.fr.resx

The designer.cs files for test.resx and test2.resx are generated just fine. However test.fr.designer.cs is created but always blank, no matter what I do.

I have double and triple checked: the custom tool property is properly set for the localized file. All properties are exactly the same across all files (I'm using PublicResxFileCodeGenerator, but I get the same behavior if I set access modifier to internal and use ResxFileCodeGenerator).

Note: I've noticed that when created a resource file, Visual Studio normally defaults the access modifier to "Internal". However, when creating a localized resource file (resource.fr.resx) it defaults to "No code generation". Just found that interesting to note since it proves that visual Studio is treating the localized file differently for some reason.

--> Is there something I'm missing here? I would appreciate if anybody has some insight on the subject, this is driving me crazy.

1 Answers
Related