How to manipulate arrays. Find the average. Beginner Java

Viewed 141629

I have a homework assignment and I was wondering if anyone could help me as I am new to Java and programming and am stuck on a question. The question is:

The first method finds the average of the elements of an integer array:

public double average(int[] data)

That is, given an integer array, data, calculate the average of its elements are return the average value. For example, the average of {1, 3, 2, 5, 8} is 3.8.

Here is what I have done so far:

public double average(int[] data) {  
    int sum = 0;

    while(int i=0; i < data.length; i++) 

    sum = sum + data[i]; 
    double average = sum / data.length;; 

    System.out.println("Average value of array element is " " + average);
}

When compiling it I get an error message at the int i=0 part saying '.class expected'. Any help would be appreciated.

7 Answers

The Java 8 streaming api offers an elegant alternative:

public static void main(String[] args) {
    double avg = Arrays.stream(new int[]{1,3,2,5,8}).average().getAsDouble();

    System.out.println("avg: " + avg);
}
Related