Python: why does my list change when I'm not actually changing it?

Viewed 3370

Newbie with a question, so please be gentle:

list = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
list2 = list

def fxn(list,list2):
    for number in list:
        print(number)
        print(list)
        list2.remove(number)
        print("after remove list is  ", list, " and list 2 is  ", list2)
    return list, list2

list, list2 = fxn(list, list2)
print("after fxn list is  ", list)
print("after fxn list2 is  ", list2)

This results in:

1
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
after remove list is   [2, 3, 4, 5]  and list 2 is   [2, 3, 4, 5]
3
[2, 3, 4, 5]
after remove list is   [2, 4, 5]  and list 2 is   [2, 4, 5]
5
[2, 4, 5]
after remove list is   [2, 4]  and list 2 is   [2, 4]
after fxn list is   [2, 4]
after fxn list2 is   [2, 4]

I don't understand why list is changing when I am only doing list2.remove(), not list.remove(). I'm not even sure what search terms to use to figure it out.

2 Answers
Related