IIS 7.5 PHP failure "The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly"

Viewed 79611

I've been attempting to get PHP working with IIS 7.5 and have hit a bit of a roadblock. Whenever I try to load the page I get the following error:

"HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe - The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly"

Module FastCgiModule

Notification ExecuteRequestHandler

Handler PHP_via_FastCGI

Error Code 0x00000000

Requested URL *http://localhost:80/index.php

Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\index.php

Logon Method Anonymous

Logon User Anonymous

Failed Request Tracing Log Directory C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles

I've modified the PHP.ini file as required for use with IIS, and have also switched it to verbose mode. There isn't any log fiel in C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogs, and none related to this error in the other log files generated.

I've tried the other fixes I've found here and elsewhere but nothing's been successful so far.

In some detail these were: re-checking PHP.ini Setting up fastCGI to work with PHP in IIS (configuring it to load the php.exe) Trying WinCache as the execution method.

10 Answers

I know its an old thread, but someone might save some headbashing.

In php.ini, changing

; Whether or not to enable the dl() function.  The dl() function does NOT work
; properly in multithreaded servers, such as IIS or Zeus, and is automatically
; disabled on them.
; http://php.net/enable-dl
enable_dl = Off

to

; Whether or not to enable the dl() function.  The dl() function does NOT work
; properly in multithreaded servers, such as IIS or Zeus, and is automatically
; disabled on them.
; http://php.net/enable-dl
;enable_dl = Off

Having enable_dl = Off doesn't work, commenting out the entire line does.

This may be because required libraries are not available. Run the php-cgi.exe from a command prompt and see if it executes successfully. It should output some HTML if it is working. I was getting a general 0xFFFFFFFF error code - which is not very helpful.

If it instead returns an error, resolve this before continuing.

I had installed the Visual C++ runtimes as indicated, but the minor version was older than the one used to compile the executable and it failed on starting.

After applying a later version of the same runtime, the program ran normally.

Many of the other suggestions talk about this, but fail to provide a simple test. See The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly for a similar question.

Related