CSS Only Marker Shape

Viewed 4033

I want to create a CSS only shape that looks like a marker or guitar pick.

Marker shape

My Codepen demo I've been working from: http://codepen.io/Vestride/pen/otcem

// CSS Marker
// I was attempting to make this shape in CSS. The marker on the far right is an image. Next to it is SVG. The rest are my attempts :|
// stackoverflow question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11982066/css-only-marker-shape

// Top part is a perfect circle
// Bottom half is edges that curve out!
body {
  margin: 40px 20px;
  background: url(http://subtlepatterns.com/patterns/furley_bg_@2X.png) ;
background-size: 600px 600px;
}

figure {
  position: relative;
  float: left;
  margin-left: 60px;
  width: 80px;
  height: 80px;
}

figure:first-child {
  margin-left: 0;
}

.one {
  border-radius: 50% 50% 0 50%;
  background: hotpink;
  
  -webkit-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -moz-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -o-transform: rotate(45deg);
  transform: rotate(45deg);
}

.two {
  background: skyblue;
  border-top-left-radius: 50%;
  border-top-right-radius: 50% 100%;
  border-bottom-left-radius: 100% 50%;
  border-bottom-right-radius: 0%;
  
  -webkit-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -moz-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -o-transform: rotate(45deg);
  transform: rotate(45deg);
}
  
.three {
 border-radius: 50%;
  background: lightgreen;
  
  -webkit-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -moz-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -o-transform: rotate(45deg);
  transform: rotate(45deg);
}

.three::before {
  content:  '';
  position: absolute;
  width: 106%;
  height: 106%;
  background: lightgreen;
  border-top-left-radius: 60%;
  border-top-right-radius: 50% 100%;
  border-bottom-left-radius: 100% 50%;
  border-bottom-right-radius: 0%;
}

.four {
 border-radius: 50% 50% 0 50%;
  background: seagreen;
  overflow-x: visible;
  
  -webkit-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -moz-transform: rotate(45deg);
  -o-transform: rotate(45deg);
  transform: rotate(45deg);
}

.four::before {
  content:  '';
  position: absolute;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100%;
  background: red;
  border-top-left-radius: 50%;
  border-top-right-radius: 50% 100%;
  border-bottom-left-radius: 100% 50%;
  border-bottom-right-radius: 0%;
}

.five {
  width: 80px;
  height: 102px;
  background-image: url(http://i.imgur.com/t80ZS.png);
  
  /* Overlay the objective */
  /*margin-left: -80px;
 opacity: 0.6;*/
}

.svg {
  position: relative;
  float: left;
  margin-left: 60px;
}
<figure class="one"></figure>
<figure class="two"></figure>
<figure class="three"></figure>
<figure class="four"></figure>

<figure class="svg">
  <svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="81px" height="104px" viewBox="0 0 81 104">
    <g transform="translate(1, 1)"><path fill="#FFFFFF" stroke="#CCCCCC" stroke-width="2" d="M78.399,39.2c0,36.998-39.199,62.599-39.199,62.599S0,76.198,0,39.2C0,17.55,17.551,0,39.2,0 C60.848,0,78.399,17.55,78.399,39.2z"/></g>
 </svg>
</figure>

<!-- Image -->
<figure class="five"></figure>

I've been unsuccessful in replicating the curvy edges by the point. Ideally I'd like to accomplish this with one element (+pseudo elements).

3 Answers
Related