I've built a web site several times using the default "allow this precompiled site to be updatable" however on the most recent compile the website was very broken. After playing around with the .dll's (deleting and replacing them, in the bin) I noticed certain parts of the website starting to work again, but if I put all of the original .dll's in the site was broken.
I'm using aspx pages with several Ajax web extensions. These were added recently and may be the source of the problem. I unchecked the "Allow this precompiled site to be updatable" and it added all kinds of extra compiled code files to the bin, and all the problems with the website went away... what's going on here? What was the difference?
There doesn't seem to be any difference in the way I update the site either, just a straight publish from Visual Studio each time.
Any insights would be appreciated.