C++ circular header includes

Viewed 11445

I know that similar questions to this have been asked before but after doing my research I still have questions about circular header includes.

//FooA.h
#ifndef H_FOOA
#define H_FOOA

#include "foob.h"

class FooA{
   public:
      FooB *fooB;
};


//FooB.h
#ifndef H_FOOB
#define H_FOOB

class FooA;
class FooB{
   public:
      FooA *fooA;
};

Now if I have two circular dependencies this is the way that I have seen people on stackoverflow get around the problem. My only problem with this is that in my main.cpp I must include fooa.h first and then foob.h

//main.cpp the right way
#include "fooa.h"
#include "foob.h"

//main.cpp that will surely get a compile error
#include "foob.h"
#include "fooa.h"

Now my question is "Is there a way to forward declare these classes in a way that will allow me to not care about the order in which I include the header files in my main.cpp?"

4 Answers
Related