"fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories)" from git status

Viewed 404637

This command works to get the files and compile them:

git clone a-valid-git-url

for example:

git clone git://cfdem.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/cfdem/liggghts

However, git status (or any other git command) then gives the above fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories) error.

What am I doing wrong?

13 Answers

This error got resolved when I tried initialising the git using git init . It worked

If Existing Project Solution is planned to move on TSF in VS Code:

open Terminal and run following commands:

  1. Initialize git in that folder (root Directory)

    git init

  2. Add Git

    git add .

  3. Link your TSf/Git to that Project - {url} replace with your git address

    git remote add origin {url}

  4. Commit those Changes:

    git commit -m "initial commit"

  5. Push - I pushed code as version1 you can use any name for your branch

    git push origin HEAD:Version1

I suddenly got an error like in any directory I tried to run any git command from:

fatal: Not a git repository: /Users/me/Desktop/../../.git/modules/some-submodule

For me, turned out I had a hidden file .git on my Desktop with the content:

gitdir: ../../.git/modules/some-module

Removed that file and fixed.

i have the same problem from my office network. i use this command but its not working for me url, so like this: before $ git clone https://gitlab.com/omsharma/Resume.git

After i Use this URL : $ git clone https://my_gitlab_user@gitlab.com/omsharma/Resume.git try It.

Related