Inconsistent behavior from ADPlus / CDB - No Runnable Debuggees Error in 'g'

Viewed 5425

I've set up ADPlus / cdb as the default Just-In-Time debugger on my machine. When any process has an unhandled exception or crashes for any other reason, I want ADPlus to generate a crash dump for me. I'm using an ADPlus config file to set the output directory and run a precommand that is used to push the dmp file to the cloud.

To test to make sure that this works, I wrote a really simple program that throws an unhandled exception and crashes. ADPlus always attaches itself like it is supposed to, but it only successfully generates the dump that I want about 1 in 15 times. Without changing anything on my system, I run my crashing program back to back and get different results.

Most of the time, I get the following error from cdb:

0:000> g

       ^ No runnable debuggees error in 'g'

0:000>

*[EOF]*

When it works properly, the same place in the log looks like this:

0:004> g

FirstChance_epr_Process_Shut_Down

*[More stuff after here]*

Any idea why I would be getting this behavior? I can post my config file and full logs if that would be helpful. The only difference between the when-it-works logs and the when-it-doesn't-work logs is the lines all start with 0:004> when it works and with 0:000> when it doesn't.

2 Answers
Related