In one of my scripts, I need to use variables that contain parenthesis inside IF statements, but either the string is missing a closing parenthesis or the script exits prematurely with * was unexpected at this time (not actually an asterisk), depending on the scenario.
Example
@echo off
SET path=%programFiles(x86)%
echo Perfect output: %path%
IF NOT "%path%" == "" (
REM Variable is defined
echo Broken output: %path%
)
pause >nul
Output
Perfect output: C:\Program Files (x86)
Broken output: C:\Program Files (x86
I think/know that this is because it thinks the closing parenthesis in C:\Program Files (x86) is the end of the IF statement and it exits before the echo is complete.
Is there a simple way to cirumvent this? Preferably without resorting to
- single-line
IFstatements, as I need to run more than one line of code within them, - copious amounts of
GOTOs, as it's not practical, SETLOCAL EnableDelayedExpansionand using!path!instead of%path%, as I recall reading somewhere that that method doesn't work consistently across OSs.
If not, I'll happily accept the most reliable solution offered, whatever it is.
(The scenario isn't up for debate. This is just a refined, concentrated example of the problem. The structure needs to be like this, as it is in my actual script, for reasons I won't go into. It's besides the point and it'll just confuse things and distract from the actual issue.)