Eclipse wont run: \.metadata\.log error

Viewed 72844

I was working on an Android project and after restarting the computer, eclipse won't run. It's throwing the .metadata.log file error.

11 Answers

I had the same problem. I deleted /.metadata but I could not solve this problem. If you are installing Eclipse with Java 9, you may not be able to solve this problem by just deleting .metadata or log folders.

Here is what I did. I extracted and install eclipse in /opt/eclipse on Ubuntu 16.04. My java version was 9 and Eclipse version was oxygen 4.7.0.

I added "--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM" at the last line of my eclipse.ini file. Then, I solved this problem. Since the Eclipse SDK uses that aren't in the java.base modeul, I needed to add this line in eclipse.ini file. See this URL: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Configure_Eclipse_for_Java_9. I hope this help to others. It was easy to fix but it took me for while to find this solution.

This link solved my issue: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini#-vm_value:_Mac_OS_X_Example. I followed the Mac Example. I located the file eclipse.ini. I then selected "Get info" and change ".ini" to ".txt". This allowed me to edit the text in the file. I then went to finder, went to Macintosh HD -> Library -> Java -> JavaVirtualMachines -> jdk1.8.0_144.jdk -> Contents -> Home -> bin. Then I opened the eclipse.txt file with the general Text Editor. This is the path I then copied into the text file eclipse.txt right under "-vm" like this "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_144.jdk/Contents/Home/bin". I then hit command save. Then I selected "Get info" on the eclipse.txt file and changed the ".txt" to ".ini" and replied yes I'm sure to use ".ini" when a little pop up box came. Then I exited out of finder and relaunched eclipse with success!

For those who have the .metadata/.log error, just install the java jdk-8u144 and its done.

None of this worked for me, I used java 8.221 and Eclipse Oxygen. So I tried this. I edited eclipse.ini and before -vmargs put

-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_221\bin\javaw.exe

And it started working

Src: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1089060/

Related