How to position three divs in html horizontally?

Viewed 238138

I am creating a sample website which has three divisions horizontally. I want the left most div to be 25% width, the middle one to be 50% width, and right to be 25% width so that the divisions fill all the 100% space horizontally.

<html>
    <title>
    Website Title
    </title>

    <div id="the whole thing" style="height:100%; width:100%" >

        <div id="leftThing" style="position: relative; width:25%; background-color:blue;">
            Left Side Menu
        </div>

        <div id="content" style="position: relative; width:50%; background-color:green;">
            Random Content
        </div>

        <div id="rightThing" style="position: relative; width:25%; background-color:yellow;">
            Right Side Menu
        </div>

    </div>
</html>

http://imgur.com/j4cJu

When I execute this code, the divs appear over each other. I want them to appear beside each other!

How can i do this?

6 Answers

I know this is a very old question. Just posting this here as I solved this problem using FlexBox. Here is the solution

#container {
  height: 100%;
  width: 100%;
  display: flex;
}
#leftThing {
  width: 25%;
  background-color: blue;
}
#content {
  width: 50%;
  background-color: green;
}
#rightThing {
  width: 25%;
  background-color: yellow;
}
<div id="container">

  <div id="leftThing">
    Left Side Menu
  </div>

  <div id="content">
    Random Content
  </div>

  <div id="rightThing">
    Right Side Menu
  </div>

</div>

Just had to add display:flex to the container! No floats required.

Related