What database for crawler/scraper?

Viewed 9481

I am currently researching what database to use for a project I am working on. Hopefully you guys can give me some hints.

The project is an automated web crawler that checks websites as per a user's request, scrapes data under certain circumstances, and creates log files of what was done.

Requirements:

  • Only few tables with few columns; predefining columns is no problem
  • No overly complex associations between models
  • Huge amount of date & time based queries
  • Due to logging, database will grow rapidly and use up a lot of space
  • Should be able to scale over multiple servers
  • Fields contain mostly ids (int), strings (around 200-500 characters max), and unix timestamps
  • Two different types of servers will simultaneously read/write data directly to/from it:
    • One(/later more) rails app that takes user input and displays results upon request
    • One(/later more) Node.js server that functions as the executing crawler/scraper. It will have enough load to run continuously and make dozens of database queries every second.

I assume it will neither be a graph database (no complex associations), nor a memory based key/value store (too much data to hold in cached). I'm still on the fence for every other type of database I could find, each seems to have it's merits.

So, any advice from the pros how I should decide?

Thanks.

3 Answers
Related