pass lambda expression as member function pointer in c++

Viewed 5606

I have a framework function which expects an object and a member function pointer (callback), like this:

do_some_work(Object* optr, void (Object::*fptr)()); // will call (optr->*fptr)()

How can I pass a lambda expression to it? Want to do somethink like this:

class MyObject : public Object
{
    void mystuff()
    {
        do_some_work(this, [](){ /* this lambda I want to pass */ });
    }
};

The meaning of it all is to not clutter the interface of MyObject class with callbacks.

UPD I can improve do_some_work in no way because I don't control framework and because actually it isn't one function, there're hundreds of them. Whole framework is based on callbacks of that type. Common usage example without lambdas:

typedef void (Object::*Callback)();
class MyObject : public Object
{
    void mystuff()
    {
        do_some_work(this, (Callback)(MyClass::do_work));
    }
    void do_work()
    {
        // here the work is done
    }
};

SOLUTION Here's my solution based on Marcelo's answer:

class CallbackWrapper : public Object
{
    fptr fptr_;
public:
    CallbackWrapper(void (*fptr)()) : fptr_(fptr) { }
    void execute()
    {
        *fptr_();
    }
};

class MyObject : public Object
{
    void mystuff()
    {
        CallbackWrapper* do_work = new CallbackWrapper([]()
        {
           /* this lambda is passed */
        });
        do_some_work(do_work, (Callback)(CallbackWrapper::execute));
    }
};

Since we create the CallbackWrapper we can control it's lifetime for the cases where the callback is used asynchonously. Thanks to all.

4 Answers
Related