How to set root folder for PHP include files

Viewed 75531

I've spent days researching the internet and I can't find the answer that I will understand and are able to implement.

I've got the website in which I want to use include_once files and be able to view the website properly in both localhost and the actual server.

I've used $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] before but it doesn't work on the localhost so it is hard for me to update and do the changes to the website.

What I want to do is to create some sort of config.php file in which I can tell it that the root folder is either called htdocs or public_html and to "start" looking for files from there.

Or is there any other way I can get include paths to work?

I've seen replies with e.g. dirname(__FILE__), __DIR__, etc. but they never explained how it would work, where to write it in the code, etc. I'm a bit sick and tired of finding part of the answer and then running around in circles just try and "fill in" the gaps. I'm not a PHP expert, just trying to make my life a bit easier by using it.

5 Answers
Related