Which data type is used to store date time (not only date but also time) in Oracle 10g database? I have read some where that (may be mistakenly) "the Date data type in Oracle 10g can store date time" but the thing doesn't seem to happen when I try to do so.
The DATE datatype is a datetime datatype. It stores a date and a time. The date portion is based on the number of days since January 1, 4712 BC. The time portion is based on the number of seconds since mid-night. The link
I tried it through Java as a front-end and directly on the Oracle terminal using the following SQL.
insert into discount
values(7, 'Code', 12.5, to_date('11-AUG-2012 06:05:23', 'dd-mon-yyyy hh:mi:ss'),
to_date('20-AUG-2012 07:50:23', 'dd-mon-yyyy hh:mi:ss'))
It works but (in both the cases) Oracle simply ignores the time portion and inserts only the dates specified in the SQL without any error?
Which data type is used to store date time in Oracle 10g? Is it TimeStamp?